Building Your Mama Tribe
Building Your Mama Tribe
Motherhood is filled with beautiful awe moments that are life changing and rewarding. But motherhood also comes with hard work, touch moments, and challenges. As a first time mama, I did not understand the importance of having a strong support of other mamas around me. Building my mama tribe has brought me great friendships, great resources, and a support system. There is value in learning through shared experiences from other mamas. There is a coming understanding of what mamas go through and empathy that other mama can relate to.
1. Mommy and Me Classes. If there is one activity that I can recommend to new moms, it is to sign up for a mommy and me class. I learned mom tips about healthy eating, child development, and activities that can support my child’s growth. Best was part of a group of new mommies that were all embarking on this new journey of motherhood. There was no judgement, just new mamas learning how to be mamas. Best of all, I got to meet new mamas where I built great friendships with.
2. Mommy Play Dates. I cannot stress the importance of mommy play dates. It is a great way to socialize not only only for kids but mamas as well. The first year of a mama can be filled with lots of moments of solitude. Planning mama dates can allow mamas to get out of their routine and get some time to talk to adults. We are able to be vulnerable to talk to another mama who understands our experiences.
3. Networking With Mom Groups. Joining a social group can be a great way to grow your mama tribe. In the last year, I have attended events from mama groups and I have met wonderful mamas. They have become a great support system and a source of inspiration. Here are some social mama groups you can join and be a part of.
4. Family. As a Latina mama, family is so important. We are constantly surrounded by moms, grandmas, aunts, sisters and female cousins ready to take care of our babies. My mom is such a big help and support system for me. My daughter is learning things from my mom that she can only learn her grandma and its wonderful to see their bond. Now that my twin sister is a mama as well, there is a common interest that joins us closer. We get excited about all mama and baby things. Its great to be twinning with my sister through our motherhood journey.
5. Reconnecting with Friends. I love being able to reconnect with old friends that are mamas now. There is a common understanding of the experiences we are going through and its wonderful to see our children grow up at the same time.